April 11, 2010

So a personal note... Why do I make the work I do. I.e: Endocrine Mimmicking Chemicals and me

I've decided to come clean about what my art is about:  Endocrine Mimicking chemicals etc... and my personal connection with them.  Everything I've learned I can thank the book "Our Stolen Future" - a must read for anyone dealing with these affects   (you can read more about its affects here.  Here is a summary from "Our Stolen Future"


"4: Hormone Havoc
Hormone Havoc examines the tragedy of what can go wrong if the hormonal control of development is disrupted. It explores the classic case of diethylstilbestrol, or DES, a synthetic estrogen invented in 1938 and subsequently used by physicians to manage difficult pregnancies. Research ultimately revealed that not only did DES not help pregnancies, it did cause severe damage to individuals exposed to DES when their mother was treated while they were in the womb. Some of the impacts involved rare cancers, deformed fallopian tubes, and increased risk of endometriosis. In most cases, the DES impacts were not detected until after the victim had passed through puberty, even though exposure took place in the womb.
The DES case is particularly instructive because it proved definitively that the human body could mistake a synthetic compound for a hormone, with tragic results. It is also important because it reinforced the value of animal experiments in understanding human vulnerability. Time and again as scientists explored the impacts of DES on animals exposed experimentally in the laboratory, the results of these experiments anticipated human impacts.
Excerpt...  "


You can read more chapter summaries and decide if this is the book for you at: http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/basics/chapters.htm

I am going to use this post as both a personal confession and a collection of information about what's going on:
1)  for my own research. 
and 
2) - for my wonderful caring friends who have been asking "Why were you in radiology?"  My fault for tweeting that - but the bill offended me - I was hoping for some insurance superhero to give me a break.  I don't have $1500.00 - not now, not later.
I hate you insurance company.  I hate you a lot.   But I love my friends...  the universe is balanced.


So I've decided to be very open about my connections with DES  - and it's symptoms that manifest from it.*(I am a 3rd generation affected daughter of Diethylstilbestrol.  My mother is sort of a medical mystery super hero for not only having me, but 2 more children to follow)    One of them - is the one I'm dealing with now:  Endometriosis.   (*click the link for wiki action)

It's not fun.  More than anything it makes me tired, hurts like hell, pushes on all my lower abdomen area (*causing all sorts of yucky issues) and lately....  breaking my heart a little bit.  Feels like everyone's having a baby - and not like I was planning on having any  - but I'd like that to be my choice.  I definitely don't want people thinking I'm not having kids because I don't like them - I love them! - but it's going to be out of the range of possibility for me.  

The Good part of this is I will have more energy to teach, and available for babysitting.  You will know me by my BEST AUNT EVER t-shirt. 

Here are a collection of Videos that will help explain what an endocrine Mimicking chemical is, and you can see pictures of my neighborhood in the videos! WHooopie!


Thank you for the Humanity Disrupted Channel on YouTube for making these videos and explaining what Endocrine Mimicking Chemicals are about.  This is what my art is about - and  it affects us all.


Part 1


part 2



part 3



Part 4


Part 5



part 6


Part 7


Part 8



No comments: